[CAUT] New Building Specs

Ken Zahringer ZahringerK at missouri.edu
Mon Oct 23 13:34:27 MDT 2006

I need some advice, guys.  Much to my shock and surprise, the University has
hired an architectural firm to begin the planning & design process for a new
School of Music.  I mean, our current building is only 55 years old, and it
has fully half of the space we need!  Anyway, the Director sent out a draft
of the space needs for the new building on Friday.  The draft recommends 600
sq ft, with an inventory of 175 or so pianos.  I think I¹ll need more than
that.  Some questions for you:

I¹m sure some of you have moved into a new building in the last 10 years or
so.  What kind of shop facility did you get, how involved were you, how did
you justify your recommendations (if any)?  How is it working?  Anything you
should have done differently, or any features you wouldn¹t trade for the
world?

Does anyone know of any ³authoritative² source I could use, other than the
Guidelines & Steinway¹s ISP, particularly one that directly addresses shop
size?

The University has hired Susaki Architectural Associates from Boston.
Anybody familiar with these guys, good, bad or indifferent?  You can reply
off-list if need be :-)

Thanks for any and all comments,
Ken Z.
--