[CAUT] Baldwin SD-10 questions

RicB ricb at pianostemmer.no
Fri Oct 20 13:13:00 MDT 2006

Lots of points you ask, and I'm sure you'll get answers on several
points from several folks.  As far as this particular item goes... I've
always been a fan of Ed McMorrows thinking on front terminations.  You
want a very thin and flat top "V" shape... not an "U".  In the end this
has always proven itself to me to be the cleanest and longest lasting
termination.  This usually applies to the standard capo profile of
course, but to the degree it is possible to reproduce in other solutions
I'd recommend it.  One of course has to assure a steep enough counter
bearing angle / front d-length combination as part of the deal.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

Cheers
RicB

Secondly, those machined capo pieces appear to have a radius at the
string contact point, quite a bit larger than other pianos.  I once
treated the sizzling strings on this piano by tapping them sideways
and back into position.  This nearly eliminated all noises but it
didn't last long.  What are your feelings on grinding a smaller
radius on these pieces or does case hardening preclude this?  The few
times I have departed from a manufacturer's original design, it was
only with great trepidation but a solid conviction that it was the
only solution to the problem