[CAUT] glue sizing bushings

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Thu Oct 19 13:32:50 MDT 2006

Hi Wim,
    Yes, steam-sizing bushings is a standard procedure for some of us. I
wrote about it a few years back, and there was a bit of discussion - check
the archives. Me, I like to put keys in a pair of Spurlock's clamps, steam a
set at a time (meaning half the BR, half the FR) using a travel steam iron
(which emits steam through a hole) until the bushings swell "about right"
(not enough to come loose). Then I follow with Pianoteck's precision brass
cauls in a heat-controlled soldering iron (the parallel sided ones, not the
tapered). Two quick passes with the caul rather than one long one: I don't
want to encourage the glue to be liquid and move into the felt. Each pass
with the caul is a bit less than one second per bushing - go through each
key, then back through.
    Others like to insert the nylon cauls in the whole set and then apply
steam and wait overnight to dry and set.

Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico