[CAUT] Interesting inquiry

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Mon Oct 16 10:08:56 MDT 2006

On Oct 16, 2006, at 8:29 AM, Cy Shuster wrote:

> This is common practice when shipping guitars.  The lowered tension
> reduces the risk of damage -- or so I've heard... I may just be
> spreading another myth.
>
> --Cy--

The notion of lowering tension I can understand (though I pointed out
to the person that pianos shipped new from Asia and Europe to the US
are shipped at or usually above standard pitch). What amused me
particularly was the thought of checking where the pitch might just
happen to be today, and recording it so that the New Zealand tech
could re-tune to wherever that might have happened to be. Yep, you
want it to sound just as bad tomorrow as it does today, or they'll
get all nostalgic for the tooner they last used in Roswell 25 years
ago <G>.

Fred