[CAUT] Bringing the shop to the piano

Rob Goodale rrg at unlv.nevada.edu
Wed Oct 11 14:33:21 MDT 2006

Have you ever gotten tired of lugging the action out of a practice room... or a class room, a studio or an ensemble room?  Then you drag it to the shop, (if your school has one), get it up on the bench, and do your work.  Then you have to lug it back, regulate it in the piano, and still have service to perform on other parts of the instrument.

I have begun a significant project to resolve this age-old problem that has been plaguing piano technicians since the first music school opened in ancient Egypt over 3000 years ago.  I am currently in progress building a "port-a-shop", (working title).  The idea here is to build a sturdy portable work bench/mini shop designed specifically for the piano technician from the ground up- not just something modified.  I convinced the music department to foot the bill.

Designing, building, and assembly is being performed at my own shop on the opposite side of town.  I have purchased 1-1/2" x 2"steel from a local supplier and have completed the welding of the main frame work as of last night.  It is exceptionally strong and ridged.  This afternoon I intend to purchase four commercial-grade locking castors.  There are two surfaces, the top bench area for action work, and a lower level for a tool cabinet with drawers, supplies, and a small but tangible shop vac.  The hose will be made long enough to clean any piano without removing the machine.  A multi-outlet power strip will also be attached.  Only one main cord will need to be plugged for everything to work.  Accessories such as a heat gun, Dremel, or whatever will be instantly ready for use, even a built-in work light.  The top bench area will be made of 3/4" hard press board with poplar molding to protect the edges, and enough surface area to completely service any action on-sight.  With the steel frame work below the top will stay perfectly and permanently flat.  With two fixed and two swivel castors it should be easy to navigate anywhere within the music department.  In spite it's complexity and built-in features, this entire portable shop will only be about 5 1/2 feet long by 24" wide.  It will easily fit against any hall way wall without being in the way and fit in any elevator.

When complete I can provide digital photographs.  I'm pretty excited about this, I think it will really prove to be a major asset.  More to come...

Rob Goodale, RPT
Las Vegas, NV