[CAUT] what do they look like?

Willem Blees wblees at bama.ua.edu
Mon Oct 9 13:38:47 MDT 2006

> Best thing is to show them hammers before filing tho... you know...
> 3/4
> inch flat-tops... veritable aircraft carriers with profundimo deep
> grooves ....caverns.  Set up along side of a new sample hammer the
> comparison should be quite telling.

Ric

The problem with the above scenario is that my hammers never get flat,
nor do they have grand canyons in them. I try to shape hammers on
yearly basis, or more often if necessary, to try to keep them as round
a shape as possible. The picture Kent posted is ideal, because it
showed the same hammer, new and after four years of shaping.

The chair just posted a memo to the department saying he's going to
NAMSU this weekend and wanted to know if there are any questions he
needed to ask. I asked if he would talk to other chairs to find out
how much money they spend on pianos, and replacement parts, and where
the money comes from. Maybe that will give him some ideas.

Wim
Willem Blees, RPT
Piano Tuner/Technician
School of Music