[CAUT] what do they look like?

Willem Blees wblees at bama.ua.edu
Fri Oct 6 15:10:01 MDT 2006

A couple of you have indicated you replace hammers after 3 or 4 years.
I am sure there is a need to do that, but what I would like to see is
what those hammers look like.

The chairman of my department is a very nice guy, and very supportive
of me, but he's a French horn player, and has no clue about pianos. I
have not had a budget, even though I keep asking him for money to
replace parts. I have given him a list of needs amounting to over
$50,000, and although he agrees that there should be money allocated
to replace parts, as long he personally doesn't see a need, I doubt if
he will work hard to get me the money I need.

So perhaps a picture, or better yet, an actual hammer that was
replaced because it was beyond use on a concert or studio piano, he
might get the "picture". Maybe if he has an idea of what other piano
tuners are doing, he'll give me some money to do my work.

Wim
Willem Blees, RPT
Piano Tuner/Technician
School of Music