[CAUT] Hammer Types

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Thu Oct 5 22:43:02 MDT 2006

I can't speak for Del with respect to using Isaac hammers, I know he did use
them at one time.  However, I just spent the better part of a week with Del
at the Charles Walter Piano Co. in Indian exploring different hammer
possibilities on a couple of Del's designs that they have in production.  I
spent a couple of days setting up three identical pianos with three
different hammers: Abel (relatively soft ones), Ronsen Wurzen and Ronsen
Bacon.  The hammers we chose, ultimately, were Ronsen Bacon felt hammers.
They required no hardening (except for light filing in the treble), and
produced more than adequate power with excellent and broad dynamic range.
It was a great illustration of what happens when soundboard design is
properly matched with hammer weight and density.

Isaac hammers (when unhardened--which they are not always when received) are
similar in density to Ronsen Bacon hammers--perhaps slightly firmer.
Generally speaking, however, the amount of hardener you need will depend on
the soundboard you put them on.  I think you are always better off choosing
a hammer that does not require hardening to begin with (or too much
softening for that matter).  Lacquer is unstable, continues to get hard over
time, and has the potential for locking up the fibers of the felt.  So
looking for a general formula is a mistake, in my view.  How much hardener
you use (if you must) will depend on how the board responds and must be
considered anew with each piano.  I have used Ronsen Bacon felt hammers on
several pianos (some of Del's designs included) where no hardening at all
was needed.  I have also used Wurzen felt hammers on other pianos that were
not nearly dense enough and sometimes too dense.  I have used Renner hammers
on pianos where no amount of needling was sufficient to produce the sound I
was aiming for yet on other pianos they were fine.  When working with
different types of pianos from new ones to those in varying states of
deterioration, having a range of hammers to choose from is vital, in my
view.  I think that it is important to get away from the idea of "one hammer
fits all" which also means to avoid putting yourself in the position of
trying to make a soft hammer hard or a hard hammer soft.  Choose the hammer
with the density and weight that matches the soundboard response from the
start.  While it requires more experience to get a handle on, and/or lots of
sampling, you will have an easier time getting to where you want and the
piano's voice will be more stable over time.

David Love
davidlovepianos at comcast.net
www.davidlovepianos.com