[CAUT] durability (blocks)

A440A at aol.com A440A at aol.com
Tue Oct 3 21:14:16 MDT 2006

Jeff writes:

<< You don't mention restringing or pinblock health in your post, only
action rebuilding.  I assume you're also restringing these pianos? >>

     Umm,  I believe that I did restring it, but will have to go over there
and see.  The school was a private academy in the 60's, got a number of donated
pianos,etc.  When we went to Vanderbilt in 1980, I went through the Peabody
college inventory and picked out all the rebuild candidates.  That was the
beginning point for my restoration program.  In the early years, there were piano
budgets of unplannable size every other year, so I really had to hit the worst
of the worst spots. The first job was an unplayable piano instead of any
number of badly worn ones, because we needed another instrument. That meant
sometimes I would leave the worn out, but regulated, action alone because the
strings were a disaster and the pinblock had finally had enough.
    Interestingly, there were a number of pinblocks with the original pins
and strings from the 20's that I restrung and they have done beautifully for the
last 25 years with 3/0 X 2 1/2 pins.  A good block is a durable one.
    If an instrument is singing, and some of the older ones do, (not ALL
soundboards die, just most of them),  I am real happy to leave the block in place
if it feels like I want it to.  I came to Nashville and ran right into the
luthiers/bluegrass/guitar-setup wizards here.  I was amazed at the respect they
all held towards the acoustic integrity of instruments,ie, the "oneness" that
is sometimes felt in an instrument, as though every single part of the
instrument was equally charged with the sound it was producing.  Some of these people
could tell if a pre-war Martin guitar had the heavier Grover tuners
retro-fitted on it by its sound.
       These people made much of entrainment principles in their instruments,
going to great lengths to preserve as many of the original glue joints as
possible.  The thought is that the wood fibers, subjected to continual stress,
gradually assume the most efficient state of tension and compression.  At this
state, the fibers most efficiently transmit energy, wasting as little as
possible in heat.  They change strings one at a time to minimize the change of
stress in their instrument.  ( I think entrainment is also pertinent to a
discussion of what makes a responsive soundboard, but that is another big warehouse of
speculation and various feckless experience.)
    This, of course, has little to do with piano soundboards, other than when
the occasional piano shows up, after 75 years, with a soundboard that is
really alive, I take great pains to get that plate back in with the exact same
down-bearing picture as what it had. I don't feel the need to second guess the
instrument. If it is a hot axe with a bad pinblock, my goal is to have it strung
up with a new block with the least amount of change to the whole sounding
structure.   I do not know how to create that magical response in a board, but I
know it when I hear it.
    I have dozens of restringing jobs on old blocks that are a joy to tune,
decade after decade, and I wish there were more of them. Alas,  I replace more
blocks than I save.

Ed Foote RPT