[CAUT] durability (was funding)

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Tue Oct 3 12:43:26 MDT 2006

I have found with the Wurzens that they do not respond to traditional
shoulder needling.  The tension seems to be mostly in the outer layers and a
slightly different method of needling is required.  That method is to free
up the outer layers of felt by needling at an angle of about 45 degrees to
the felt surface starting at about 9:30 and 2:30 with the needles pointing
downward toward the staple.  Move upward toward the crown in a radial
pattern  with maybe 4-5 stitches (3 needle tool with needles extending about
10 mm) on each side for the lower part of the piano progressing down to 1 or
2 stitches in the treble (if needed).  You can do this to within a few mm's
of the crown.  To give some orientation for the angle, when needling near
the crown, the needles will be pointing in the direction of the shoulder.
At the 9:30 position,  the needles will be pointing toward the shank/hammer
molding intersection.  While the needles will be completely inserted to
their full length, the depth of penetration from the surface at the tips of
the needles should be maybe 5-6 mm in the bass progressing to 2-3 mm in the
treble.  Sugar coat over the top as needed.

David Love
davidlovepianos at comcast.net
www.davidlovepianos.com