[CAUT] durability (was funding)

Jeff Tanner jtanner at mozart.sc.edu
Tue Oct 3 10:42:27 MDT 2006

On Oct 2, 2006, at 6:10 PM, Rick Florence wrote:

>  I think our Piano
> faculty are close to what your Chair does - hammers last about 4
> years.  Our
> performance major practice rooms make it 2-3 years.  We've tried a
> number of
> different hammers, but the results are not much difference.  We are
> in the
> middle of hanging a set of the new Abel Hammers (Bio felt?).  We'll
> see how
> they do.

I want to know when you guys have time to change hammers every 2, 3,
4 years....

> Our concert instruments are serviced twice a week and touched up
> before each
> performance.  I suspect our program may a little busier than yours,
> however,
> which necessitates the extra service.  Last year we had over 600
> events.

...and get all these tunings done in 40 hours a week.

> Back to work...

duh...?

> Rick

We're having a rebuilding meeting with the dean and piano faculty in
the morning.  We've had virtually no budget funding beyond my salary,
and I'm taking every bit of this thread to the meeting with me.
Jeff

Jeff Tanner, RPT
University of South Carolina