[CAUT] Steinway Pedal Bushings

A440A at aol.com A440A at aol.com
Tue Oct 3 04:46:32 MDT 2006

Ric  writes:

<< I've always like felt better then any other solution thats come up

through the years.  And the reason is simple.  It is so darned easy to

replace in a jiffy. All you need to carry around is appropriate felt...  >>

 I agree.  I have felt in pedals that have seen hard use for many years and
it still performs well.  The imperatives are that the axle rod be polished, the
felt is the correct thickness, and the clamp plate is tightened all the way
down.
     If the rod is eroded, the felt is toast.  If the wrong felt is used, ie,
too soft or too thick to clamp, it will wear out, and if the clamp isn't all
the way down, the felt will begin getting pinched at the outer edges by the
pedal movement and quickly loosen, deteriorating as it does.
Regards,

Ed Foote RPT