[CAUT] Steinway Pedal Bushings

Ken Zahringer ZahringerK at missouri.edu
Mon Oct 2 09:35:40 MDT 2006

We have one newer D here that has the teflon bushings on the pedal pivots,
and several older Steinways that have the cloth bushings.  The D¹s sustain
pedal is now squeaking at the pivot.  I can¹t really make any judgment about
relative longevity of the two types of bushings, since the one D is in the
recital hall and the others are in practice rooms ­ big difference in usage
hours.  What is your experience?  Who likes cloth vs. teflon, or vice versa?
Are the pivot rods all the same diameter, where retrofitting would even
work?

I have to fix the D with a new cloth bushing for tonight¹s performance,
since that¹s all I have, but I want to find out what¹s best long-term.

Thanks,
Ken Z.
--
Ken Zahringer, RPT