[CAUT] Key Bushing Removal

kpiano kpiano at goldrush.com
Sat Nov 11 11:18:09 MST 2006

> Keith, I don't know about Barbara's setup. What I do is rip off the soft part of the felt, grabbing the blocks with my other hand so I don't bend the wires, then soak the rest (remnants of damper felt, with the glue-soaked cloth) with vodka and leave them about 3/4 hour. Most of the time, they'll then just pull off when grabbed by needlenose pliers. I leave them on the rail, with the action vertical, and drip the vodka into the cloth from the rear. If you don't need to renew the spring cushions, you can save a lot of time by not taking the levers off the rail.
>
> Susan

I usually avoid alcohol in soaking solutions because it lowers the temperature and the heat of putting the solution in the microwave usually helps loosen things. By the same physics principle, the alcohol has to evaporate before the water can evaporate so with the high water content of the vodka, the water won't dry up nearly as fast. Then I could see the 3/4 hour soak time. Usually they are dried back on half hard if I try to get that long of a soak or the damper heads want to come apart because I keep re-soaking.

Thanks, Keith