[CAUT] Key Bushing Removal

Jeff Stickney jpstickney at montanadsl.net
Tue Nov 7 17:40:00 MST 2006

Keith,

A little dab of Wallpaper removing solution mixed with water (applied
with an artist brush - or smallish brush of your choice) before the
steaming process can help speed the process along - especially with
tough glues.

I use a Steamstress plastic travel iron to shoot the steam down into the
mortise.  I do the bushing removal and installation with the keys in the
key clamp - they never leave the clamp until I'm ready to fit them back
on the frame.

I use the Spurlock method with hide glue - my stick technique seems to
work well, and I don't get glue strings.  Glue strings have been a
problem for me using hide glue to install hammers, but not for key bushings.

Jeff Stickney