[CAUT] In pursuit of perfection

Conrad Hoffsommer hoffsoco at luther.edu
Wed Nov 1 04:44:00 MST 2006

At 10:25 AM 11/1/2006 +1100, you wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>Just returned from tuning the piano for a Sydney Sydney Symphony Orchestra
>second day performance for their schools concert programme.
>
>When I arrived to tune the piano, at my allocated time, there was just one
>solitary Oboist rehearsing her lines. By the time I had finished, the
>rehearsing instrumentalists included, two French horns, a trumpet, slide
>trombone, a percussionist on kettle drums, a vibraphonist and the
>aforementioned Oboist.
>
>Fortunately I also tuned the piano for the first concert yesterday, and
>the piano is quite stable. Their lack of consideration had me dreaming of
>arriving with tools in hand during their performance, for a little
>unscheduled touch-up.
>
>Ron O
>--
>OVERS PIANOS - SYDNEY
>       Grand Piano Manufacturers
>__

This is where my curmudgeon training course would come in handy. As you get
to a certain age, (as you'll find out eventually) people expect you to
speak/grumble/mumble out loud about those things which are flitting through
your mind, such as a better placement of an oboe, or a more effective
french horn mute.

Little statements like, "Promise me you'll come back and vacuum during the
concert, so the piano sounds the same, OK?"
;-}

or...

Just the other day some voice people came in on my recital hall tuning to
do some "staging" saying "we won't be singing". Of course, they softly
did.  As I left I said, "You may not realise it, but sotto voce _is_
singing..." and slammed the stage door...

Have a VB for me, Ron.

Conrad Hoffsommer - Keyboard Technician
1-(563)-387-1204 // Fax 1-(563)-387-1076

- Right now, I'm hoping to live until my age matches my golf score,
- Until then, I'll have to be content to have my IQ match my handicap.