[CAUT] Pianos for piano performance majors

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Fri Mar 31 08:57:35 MST 2006

Hi Jim,
	I'll respond as the "major in piano performance" you requested (MM
in piano performance, 1979, so long ago, but still pursuing the piano
as a performer with as much passion as ever). My take is "Vive la
difference!" I think that the brand issue is of much lesser
importance than other considerations, and that the most important
thing is that the serious piano student be exposed to well-prepped,
well-voiced "hard-pressed" hammers as well as lacquered. I think
there is a considerable difference in the tonal subtleties available
in a well-needled hard-pressed hammer compared to a well-voiced
lacquered hammer, and that in developing the pianistic art, one
should work at both.
	The argument that, because virtually all concert halls feature the
D, pianists should practice on Steinways is a pretty weak one IMO.
I've got a lot of Steinway grands, and they vary all over the place,
from dull to bright, from light to Mack trucks, from blooming to
pinched. Hammers from Ronson, Renner, Tokiwa, Abel, and Steinway.
What does the brand matter in this context? I guess you could argue
that I am giving my students a taste of the real world <g>, though it
is more a matter of what I can get around to while trying to keep
overall function and pitch within parameters. But our locked practice
rooms include Yamaha, Kawai and Mason BB as well as Steinway, and
often the Yamahas and Mason get preference (the Kawai is a small
loaner, and less often in decent tune as a result, so it tends to get
used least).
	One of my favorite things to do at conventions is to play on all the
exhibit pianos. There is such a range of excellence, with all sorts
of different approaches to sound, power, touch, etc. It is a
revelation to me both as a technician and as a pianist to play on
such a variety of well-prepped instruments. BTW, the Steinways in the
exhibit hall are usually pretty low on the totem pole, I think
because they just pull in an instrument off the local dealer's floor
and tune it, while the other exhibitors choose carefully and do
meticulous prep.
	All S&S? No thanks. Same argument as others, particularly not
wanting to be tied into the uprights.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico