[CAUT] puzzler solution

Susan Kline skline at peak.org
Tue Mar 7 22:46:40 MST 2006

Okay, let's wrap this up. You've danced all around the
right answer, almost from the first. You pointed out that
something was dancing on the strings, you just didn't
figure out what or which place on the strings.

I pulled the action to work on it, and the noise began
as the action moved forward. So of course I had taken
off the nameboard and keyslip and keyblocks first. As
usual, I laid the keyblocks on the plate behind the
treble strings. The plate there isn't flat, near
the round holes, so one keyblock had a sharp corner leaning
down onto an aliquot back duplex in octave 6, resting
on it, but not heavily. (Very close to Ed Foote's bridge pins.)

The piano is one of those which shakes around when
you jar it, where when you pull up a note standing in
front of the high treble, you wonder how good the leg
attachments are. So it didn't take much to get it moving,
and that bounced the corner of the keyblock up and down
on the back segment of the wire -- which just HAPPENED to
be exactly on pitch with Eb7. The rhythm of the bounces
sped up and got softer as the corner bounced down to
a rest position again (like a ping pong ball does).
Chris Purdy spotted that I was jiggling the piano
very early in the puzzle, and Greg Newell had a case
part dancing on the strings.

So, you had all the ingredients of the answer. Well done,
all.

After the second occurrence, from bumping the corner,
I wrinkled my brow a little, checked Eb7 one more time,
then started bumping the corner of the case -- heard
it happen several times, figured it out, plucked the
back length where the keyblock corner had rested --
bingo, Eb7 ...

Thanks for taking part.

Susan