[CAUT] lacquer

Donald McKechnie dmckech at ithaca.edu
Fri Jun 16 14:11:02 MDT 2006

List,

I just had a look at the gallon of lacquer I received from the good
folks at Steinway two weeks ago. It is the good stuff! I was at the
factory damper seminar and had a great discussion with Eric, Chad and
Michael about their lacquer and other things.

Some of you may remember a discussion we had about a year ago on this
same topic. I had been looking for the same type of lacquer Steinway
uses. They use water white nitro cellulose. This is not the same as
the product Sherwin Williams sells according to my understanding. Go
to the following page for important information on the differences:

http://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_base/Water_white_lacquers.html

Last year I managed to find the water white nitro at the follow web
site:

http://www.uscellulose.com

It was expensive, $48, for the gallon as it is considered hazardous
material. The lacquer from U.S. Cellulose is 24% solids. Steinway was
using a water white nitro with 12% solids. I was told at the factory
that they are now using 24% solids. I'm sorry, I did not ask if they
sell and ship their lacquer. If they do, I suppose it will be
expensive as well due to the hazardous material designation. Give
Chad Frye a call and ask if the lacquer is available for purchase.

Don

Don McKechnie
Piano Technician
Ithaca College