[CAUT] Piano Techs as Piano Movers?

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Fri Jun 2 12:17:50 MDT 2006

I agree with Jon, that it needn't be a big deal for techs who are
experienced. And if you have several, that would make it more
feasible (three is a good idea, unless you have a real expert
involved). There isn't a need to leave each grand on a dollie for
storage. Instead, place blocks the height of the dollie (and a wee
bit more) and remove the dollie. Not hard to do with three people
involved.
	But I agree with the cautionary remarks as well, both Jon's and
others. It doesn't take much of an overstrain to cause a fairly
serious injury, especially among the older among us (say 50 plus),
and that seems to be a large majority of piano techs in this day and
age. An alternative might be to have one or two techs designated as
supervisory, get some young, robust guys from somewhere in physical
plant, buy some equipment.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico