[CAUT] Piano Techs as Piano Movers?

Robin Blankenship tunerdude at comcast.net
Fri Jun 2 10:59:37 MDT 2006

Mr. Yankee,

You pose a heavy question that has a heavy answer. The answer is weight. Perhaps this "administrator" is not aware of the actual weight of the piano models you mention. In the process of moving a grand (other than merely within a single space), the piano must be put on its side and the legs and pedal lyre removed in order to pass through doorways. This involves setting the piano's long side (the bass or left side, from the player's perspective) onto a special board, equipped with straps for securing the instrument. This board is then raised at one end and a small, wheeled dolly is slipped underneath. This permits relatively easy movement thereafter; assuming, of course, that there are not stairs or other obstacles to negotiate. The lifting of the nose end of the piano does for a moment at least require some considerable brute force. Ask your "administrator" if he or she can safely and single-handedly lift about 300 pound from floor to a little above waist level and hold it that high for perhaps ten seconds. This is not the only moment of required power but it is the most crucial. This also necessitates a second person being there to handle the dolly. Most of the rest of the procedure can technically be done by one person; but, that is not advisable.

I have known one individual whose sheer brute strength enabled them to move even large grands with confidence and relative ease by themselves. But, that is unusual. A  lone technical not uncommonly has to effect a minor move of a single grand in order to work on it. But, the level of activity you appear to be referrencing with the carpet replacement precludes that. Perhaps at New England Conservatory you have enough piano technicians employed and they are robust enough to do the work. But, if I were one of them, I would insist on the "administrator" posting a personal bond of one million dollars against injury to either an instrument or personnel. On a routine basis, the occasional move to and from the shop could possibly be done by a team of techs, as long as one of them is physically robust enough to do the heavy lift(s).

IMHO.

Robin Blankenship
Matoaca, VA