[CAUT] Piano Techs as Piano Movers?

Brian Yankee BYankee at NewEnglandConservatory.edu
Fri Jun 2 10:14:38 MDT 2006

Greetings.

I am the Director of Performance Services at New England Conservatory in
Boston. A member of our administration wants to have our Piano
Technicians (whom I supervise) move our pianos (mostly a mix of Steinway
B's, L's and M's) out of studios, into and out of the piano shop, etc.
when the need arises. We have always hired an outside piano moving
company to do all of our moves except for occasionally rolling an
upright piano down a hallway from one room to another.

What prompted this is a proposal to recarpet and paint seven faculty
studios this summer. The proposal included an estimate of the cost to
hire our movers to remove the pianos from the rooms, bring them to our
piano shop for storage on their sides and then to return them to the
studios once the work is done. Needless to say, the piano moving costs
are considerable.

Personally, I think it's inappropriate for piano techs to double as
piano movers, but what do I know? I need a reality check: Is this
something that piano techs at other colleges and universities do? If
not, can you give me some good arguments why they shouldn't?

Thanks.

Brian Yankee
Director of Performance Services
New England Conservatory