[CAUT] tension gauges

Chris Solliday solliday at ptd.net
Fri Jul 28 08:34:04 MDT 2006

It may be of value to have a fairly refined number to work with if you are calibrating friction weight, in which case a Correx gauge is an asset worth having. Otherwise I don't think it is a necessity but still valuable. I prefer it particularly in the shop although I carry a second one in my road kit in case I have to diagnose a touch situation in the field. For instance if I measure the hammer flange to be 2 grams and the support flange to be 2 grams and the key isolates at 2 grams but the friction weight is 15 and everything is regulated and lubricated well I really don't need to find out where the geometry problem is to know there is an effective one.
Generally it is good to use all the tools and measurements you can particularly so that you can make charts and graphs to scare the heck out of the customer so they won't argue with the bill. So the numbers are a bit of CYA and worth every penny IMHO.
Chris Solliday