[CAUT] Pitch References

william ballard wbps at vermontel.net
Wed Jul 5 07:50:16 MDT 2006

On Jul 5, 2006, at 8:45 AM, Chris Solliday wrote:
> Bill, a quick visit to www.accu-tuner.com should prove profitable
> to you.
> Why are you fooling around with guitar tuners anyway? They are not
> suitable
> for piano tuning except for hack work. Tune Lab Pro or Cyber Tuner or
> VeriTuner are contenders but not Kurg.

Thanks for the idea, Chris. I'm not the one "fooling around with a
guitar tuner". I kept any details about the situation out of the
query, so as not to prejudice any replies. Just leave it that I'm
looking for people who have had to defend their pitch from a
professional ETD against that from a guitar tuner.

(The one lapse from this neutrality  was ",,, how well would would a
Korg hold to those specs after several years of kicking around in an
instrument case". In the interest of full disclosure.)

Just for the record, I use a steel A fork, which gets backed up by a
copy of RCT v3 which I bought nine years ago when I thought I might
migrate from aural to ETD. Didn't happen, but the ole mac PB2400
still boots right up and RCT functions jes' like back in the day.
When I checked my fork last week, RCT reported 439.46Hz.

I've written to Dean to see if there's any reason to doubt  RCT's
pitch reference when the app (and the machine it lives on) only get
used once every few years. (I betting no reason to doubt.).

BTW, I still owe you a sasprailla.

mr bill
wbps at vermontel.net