[CAUT] who's got dibs??

Porritt, David dporritt@mail.smu.edu
Mon, 30 Jan 2006 18:18:54 -0600

Guy:
=20
You said Eric Schandal tweaking 5 new "Os".  Were they Hamburgs or is =
Steinway bringing back the O to NY?
=20
dp
=20
__________________________
David M. Porritt, RPT
Meadows School of the Arts
Southern Methodist University
Dallas, TX 75275
dporritt@smu.edu

________________________________

From: caut-bounces@ptg.org on behalf of Nichols
Sent: Mon 1/30/2006 6:05 PM
To: College and University Technicians
Subject: Re: [CAUT] who's got dibs??

Michelle,
     Your responses so far have been empathetic and sympathetic and I
agree, somewhat. For some performance gigs, scheduling is very tightly
interwoven with the costs to the venue. On the other hand.... some gigs
just require extreme flexibility. I don't punish the folks that are =
trying
their hardest to make things work, and I have no guilt about what I =
collect
from places that refuse education.
     Places with high noise quotients and healthy doses of distractions =
can
be very entertaining. Earplugs should be worn anyway, no? It's much =
easier
to charge a healthy fee if I don't complain or fret, and just work =
through
the challenges. Production staff won't notice the quality of the tuning
near as much as how quick and painless I make the process for them.  I =
have
"drawn the line" at two gas-powered leaf blowers moving the trash around =
at
a basketball stadium, but otherwise, the other workers have jobs to do,
also. Ironically, the only rock gig I did where the stage manager shut =
down
other activities was a Rod Stewart show, way before he went "mellow".
    At the Steinway reception last week in L.A., I got to watch Eric
Schandal tweak 5 new Os on stage as the wait staff put out the place
settings for 300 diners. Silverware is noisy!

He was smiling.

Semper Gumby,
Guy Nichols, RPT