[CAUT] who's got dibs??

Nichols nicho@zianet.com
Mon, 30 Jan 2006 17:05:59 -0700

Michelle,
     Your responses so far have been empathetic and sympathetic and I
agree, somewhat. For some performance gigs, scheduling is very tightly
interwoven with the costs to the venue. On the other hand.... some gigs
just require extreme flexibility. I don't punish the folks that are trying
their hardest to make things work, and I have no guilt about what I collect
from places that refuse education.
     Places with high noise quotients and healthy doses of distractions can
be very entertaining. Earplugs should be worn anyway, no? It's much easier
to charge a healthy fee if I don't complain or fret, and just work through
the challenges. Production staff won't notice the quality of the tuning
near as much as how quick and painless I make the process for them.  I have
"drawn the line" at two gas-powered leaf blowers moving the trash around at
a basketball stadium, but otherwise, the other workers have jobs to do,
also. Ironically, the only rock gig I did where the stage manager shut down
other activities was a Rod Stewart show, way before he went "mellow".
    At the Steinway reception last week in L.A., I got to watch Eric
Schandal tweak 5 new Os on stage as the wait staff put out the place
settings for 300 diners. Silverware is noisy!

He was smiling.

Semper Gumby,
Guy Nichols, RPT