[CAUT] Tuning Hammers

Paul Williams RPT pno2nr@whidbey.com
Thu, 26 Jan 2006 19:27:22 -0800

I have found that my trusty hammer with the rosewood handle I bought =
some 14 years ago from apsco is great although I would like a 10-11 =
degree for the rare pianos with the odd struts or the old upright with =
the overhanging lid.  Don't over brain yourselves and use what you like. =
 I always (when possible) place my hammer parallel to the strings =
because I was taught that way. ( Thanks Steve B.)

Paul T. Williams RPT
pno2nr@whidbey.com=20
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Cy Shuster=20
  To: College and University Technicians=20
  Sent: Wednesday, January 25, 2006 1:47 PM
  Subject: Re: [CAUT] Tuning Hammers

  I find the ball helps most on grands, with the handle pointed towards =
the tail parallel to the strings.  The small end of a cigar-style lever =
is very uncomfortable in that position.  With the ball, I can use it =
either with my palm touching the ball, or just with finger tension.

  I have the Calahan lever, with the pear-shaped middle section.  It =
gives me a great variety of grips.

  I think it's useful to consider how tennis rackets are sized to your =
hand: if your fingers touch your palm, the grip is too small.  If far =
away from your palm, the grip is too big.  Most hand tools have handles =
that are too small (for my hands, anyway).

  Figure out what size steering wheel is comfortable for you, for =
example, and follow that...  Bicycle grip tape can give you a custom =
fit.

  We have a wide variety of levers here at the school.  I've been =
impressed with the lightweight Jahn and the Renner levers.  I'm also =
very interested in Reyburn's impact lever for pitch-raising uprights =
(when budget allows).

  --Cy--