[CAUT] Tuning Hammers -- knobs, stress, flexion, etc.

Otto Keyes okeyes@uidaho.edu
Wed, 25 Jan 2006 10:38:04 -0800

I probably should weigh in on the subject here, since I think I first
brought up the Fujan lever last fall concerning my wrist injury.  I have
been very happy with the Fujan levers.  I have both a 5 & an 11 degree head,
as well as all the various lengths of tubes.  (Long story how I ended up
with them all, but Steve had a glitch in the assembly of my order that
required sending things in 2 shippings, so he let me try them all.  I'll be
shipping some of it back, but wanted to take the lot to the chapter meeting
to show everyone, but had to miss the last meeting.)

I got an extension, but opted to use my own tips.  However, I did end up
buying a long Watanabe tip from Pianotek, which I generally leave on the 5
deg. head & mainly use the 6.5" tube, making an 10.5" lever. It clears
virtually anything, while keeping the lever on a plane very close to the
string line. (I tune with lever parallel to the string line if at all
possible.) The 11 deg. head gets the shorty & the 9" tube, for a 13" lever.
I worked with both the 11" & 13" tubes, but have settled on the shorter
ones, due to the ergonomics & my tuning style.  The longer tubes certainly
make things easier with the extra leverage, but the additional movement due
to the length of the arc takes some getting used.  You have to bear in mind
that I have used the shorty extension I developed for Schaff for years --
usually in the shortest mode -- about 6".  Now I just use that hammer on A-1
& in the high treble if room is really tight.  Though I could feel
everything in the pin, & it was amplified by the length, stability suffered
a bit 'til I got used to the new technique.  (I also had to shift my hand
position to use different muscle groups, which took some getting used to.)

The weight of the Fujan lever (even the longer ones) is such that it's easy
enough to shift the head from pin to pin without shifting the grip.  It just
takes some getting used to, & a conscious effort to make the process a
habit, which builds the necessary strength.

As to the issue of lever flexion, I realize that most of what we feel is
movement in the pin itself.  However, prior to getting my Fujan levers I
went back to an old extension lever I had used for several years early in my
career.  It's a lever I got with some other tools from the widow of a tuner
years ago.  It was old then, & I don't know the make, but it is an excellent
lever!  Very solid feel to it. I also trotted out others in my assortment of
tuning levers.  However, the Fujan is much more sensitive....you can feel
everything that's going on in the pin & string.  The pin is much more
responsive & controllable as well.  One can attribute that to the additional
length, but the extra control seems to be there in similar length levers.  I
can't help but attribute that to the stiffness of the tube.

As to the ball, I find it very comfortable.  I shift my position around,
depending on the angle & situation, but mostly use the knob on the end,
keeping my wrist in a neutral position with minimal stress.  It's kept me
tuning when I might not have been able to otherwise.

On another note, I have been going to a therapist who has done more in the
last month than all the Drs., Neurologists, Orthopedic surgeons, etc., etc.
have done in the past year.  He uses the "Strain-Counter Strain" technique,
which is very simple & sensible, & really works.

Otto