[CAUT] Overlap of CAUT with churches?

Elwood Doss edoss@utm.edu
Tue, 24 Jan 2006 22:28:14 -0600

Good question!  I service a number of churches and try to get them to
tune on a regular basis.  I'd be interested in some type of guideline
for churches...something I could show the senior pastor or music
minister/organ master/choir director.  At one church the lay person who
arranged for me to come by and tune their pianos had passed along the
message to have the air conditioning set at the temperature it is set
when they worship.  While I was tuning, the lady minister walked in the
sanctuary and asked me if I was comfortable.  It took me a minute or so
to understand what she was talking about and I finally commented that
the temperature needed to be set for the tuning, not for my comfort.
She exclaimed that she thought I just wanted to be comfortable when I
tuned.  I assured her that it was a bit cool for me, but just right for
the piano!

=20

I tuned a piano in a small rural church a couple of weeks before
Christmas several years ago.  They turn their heating way down during
the week and turn it back up for their service only on Sunday morning.
I received a call from the mother of the pianist in January that the
piano was out of tune.  She said her son said it sounded terrible the
previous Sunday.  I arranged to meet with him later in the week and when
I walked in, the temperature was cool, but comfortable-about what it was
when I tuned the piano-and the piano sounded great!  I thought either my
hearing is going or that piano sounds just fine.  About halfway down the
aisle the pianist heard me and exclaimed that the piano sounded great!
He said it sounded terrible Sunday.  I asked him what the temperature in
the sanctuary was like on the previous Sunday and he said it was about
like it was then, but when the "old folks" came in they turned the
thermostat way up!  Problem solved!  It's amazing what a small
increase/decrease in the temperature and resulting humidity makes as far
as a piano being in tune.

=20

Joy!

Elwood