[CAUT] Tuning Hammers

Jeff Tanner jtanner@mozart.sc.edu
Tue, 24 Jan 2006 16:13:03 -0500

On Jan 24, 2006, at 3:29 PM, David Love wrote:

> I like 10 degrees, though they are hard to find.  APSCO used to
> make them
> and you can find them at Schaff still in the old APSCO stock.  It
> offers
> good clearance with a shorter tip through the scale and still gives
> that
> good semi-perpendicular feel.
>
> David Love

Problem is they don't fit anything.  After I lost my Hale hammer in a
classroom in college, I bought a rosewood extension hammer from APSCO
in 1992, but was too broke at the time to order extra heads and
tips.  It may have been old Tuners Supply stock, I don't know, but
the one extra head I had for my Hale hammer does fit it.  After APSCO
began making heads with the Hale logo, they changed the thread size
or shaft size or something, and the newer APSCO heads do NOT fit my
'92 APSCO or Hale or whatever hybrid it is hammer.  So, I bought a
new APSCO hammer so I could have more options with heads and tips,
but was never happy with those tips and then they sold out to to
Schaff.  Now that Schaff owns the brand, as far as I understand, they
are only tapping the heads to fit the Schaff threads and they don't
even match up with Schaff hammers and the threads get messed up the
first time you crank them down tight.

I ordered the head I have as a 15 degree, but I think its more like a
10 and I love it.  I like it much better than the other 15 degree
heads I have.  But a 5 degree head now feels almost like it's a
negative angle.  I only use that with my 7 inch handle.

I miss Tuners Supply.
Jeff

Jeff Tanner, RPT
University of South Carolina