[CAUT] Tuning Hammers

David Love davidlovepianos@comcast.net
Tue, 24 Jan 2006 12:29:12 -0800

I like 10 degrees, though they are hard to find.  APSCO used to make them
and you can find them at Schaff still in the old APSCO stock.  It offers
good clearance with a shorter tip through the scale and still gives that
good semi-perpendicular feel.

David Love
davidlovepianos@comcast.net

-----Original Message-----
From: caut-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:caut-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf Of
Porritt, David
Sent: Tuesday, January 24, 2006 12:12 PM
To: College and University Technicians
Subject: RE: [CAUT] Tuning Hammers

Jim:

I agree with you on the 5-degree angle.  I use a moderate head and
5-degree for everything by the high treble where I go to a 5" head at
5-degrees.  Even though the head is long, you are still turning it
rather than bending it because the handle is almost perpendicular to the
pin.  I've used that for 32 years so I've pretty much gotten used to it!
:-)

dp

David M. Porritt
dporritt@smu.edu