[CAUT] Fujan lever was: Differences

Aaron Bousel abousel@comcast.net
Mon, 23 Jan 2006 21:15:43 -0500

I've been using a Fujan  with the 11 degree tip, 9" tube (13" hammer)
for a couple of months now . I have the tip extension but rarely use
it. I was using a Watanabe extension hammer before. I can't imagine
going back to it now. I can confirm all the good things that have
been said about it. As to clearance, I've had no problems with
Steinways or Yamahas but sometimes, when next to a strut the tube
doesn't quite clear on M&H and Baldwins. That's without the 5/8"
extension. With the 5/8" extension I've had no problem on any piano,
vertical or grand. When I first got it I noticed that often, without
the extension, if there was a clearance problem, the additional
amount needed for clearance was very small. I got a lock washer and
used it as +/- 1/8" "extension". I splurged and got a stainless steel
lock washer 'cause this is such a classy tool. Since then I've only
had to use the 5/8" extension (then I remove the washer) on the
occasional oddball piano with very high struts or uprights with a top
lid which overhangs more than usual. Anyway, the solid connection
with the pin is impressive. By the time I was finished tuning my
first piano with it I was sold. I also got the longer tube, but I
haven't had a need for it yet. In short, I love this tuning hammer
and would not want to have to go back to what I was using before.

Aaron
PS: Sent another message about my M&H Model 50 a few days ago.
Everyone was so busy with gender politics I think it slipped under
the radar. Should I send it again?