[CAUT] Differences?

Jeff Stickney jpstickney@montanadsl.net
Sun, 22 Jan 2006 12:46:20 -0700

Richard and others,

Regarding strength and tuning, I recently purchased a Fujan "Super Tube"
tuning hammer.  It can come with  different lengths of tube which create
a hammer from 101/2" to 17" long.  I got the tubes for 101/2"
(equivalent to the length of my current hammer) and 13".  Aside from
being somewhat stiffer (as in less flex), the 101/2" length otherwise
felt like my old hammer.  The 13" hammer, however, made even a Baldwin
grand feel like the pins were not tight.  Those with extension hammers
have probably had that same experience, but with the extension hammer
out that far you would introduce quite a bit more flex and less control.

The point being that with the added leverage the amount of effort is
much less with the longer hammer.  You can check it out at the website:
http://www.fujanproducts.com/.  It took me a little while to get used to
it, and being short (5'4"), the length stretches me out a bit more than
I would like.  I have requested a tube which would create a hammer 12"
long so I can retain some leverage advantage but have less of a stretch.

One of our piano profs saw the hammer and called it my "Bling-bling".
For those who don't know (I had to be told), bling-bling is a
hip-hop/rapper term for all the gold jewelry and other finery they
wear.  Well, it is a bit of a departure from your standard issue wood
and steel (or titanium) - but I like it.  It's light-weight and
comfortable to use.  What more can you ask?  (and no, I'm not on commission)

Jeff Stickney