[CAUT] Differences?

Susan Kline skline@peak.org
Sat, 21 Jan 2006 01:55:31 -0800

At 12:27 AM 1/21/2006 -0600, Barbara wrote:
>Come to think of it, tuning <for me> is the necessary drudge work;
>voicing, regulating, etc. is the fun stuff.

I'm the opposite -- I like tuning, and especially I like hearing a good
pianist playing on my freshly tuned piano. That has always given me a
real charge.

I like the voicing because of the results, and because so many times it
is so desperately needed and so seldom done. It often goes quickly, as
well. It should, most of the time. Either the piano is a concert instrument,
and has been kept up, in which case it should just have a little
balancing and sweetening, or it is worn out and neglected and very
bad; at that point, more drastic but faster techniques like alcohol
and shoulder squeezing are appropriate. One doesn't need to walk on
eggs when the hammers are totally shot already.

I like the results of regulating, travelling, spacing, etc., but not the
process
particularly. I take it philosophically. It has to be done, etc. It
is satisfying when all the filth is gone, and the action has clean
underwear, and everything is solid and spaced and smooth and traveled
and moves uniformly -- but it takes so darned long! It is a pleasure
when one has repinned an action, and one regulates the springs to
match, and it plays almost like new again. Only it takes an awful lot
of time to get there.

I still enjoy hearing the intervals come in and the unisons shape
themselves, and the octaves stretch their stretch. Sort of tactile, plastic,
three-dimensional.

Susan