[CAUT] Time & Chaos

Jim Harvey harvey@greenwood.net
Fri, 20 Jan 2006 20:39:48 -0500

David Ilvedson wrote:

>Hi Jim,
>
>I haven't really figured out how to use the Memos feature...it seems like it is just more Notes in different clothing...
>I want to share with you something I'm doing for commercial accounts with multiple pianos.   I'm using the primary Contact and right clicking on it and choosing new contact at this company.   I then enter the studio/room/location of a piano in the facility.    I group them as pianos.   This gives gives me a way to have a separate service record for that piano.   It seems to be working...

David,

I read your earlier post about placing piano information in the contact
portion of the database. This seems an innovative approach for
institutional work. Fortunately(?), I no longer have the type of clients
that require this type of approach. I will have a question later,
though, after I think through it!

About the memos. In addition to Ctl-M toggle mentioned earlier, you can
also access this area via the 'Window' menu below the title bar.

Your perception is correct in that one can enter either a note or a
spreadsheet-type grid. You can also import Excel data into the grid.
You're also correct in that it's just another area for entering notes. I
for one, and no doubt others, had lobbied for a general notes area for
quite some time. This puts T&C on a par with the Palm desktop, Outlook
(sic) and other similar PIM's that have such an area. While the notes
ARE (or can be) linked to a particular person, just like memos and
appointments, that's not the primary intent. In the author's words,
"*Memos & Tables*:  A new place to keep notes and lists that don't seem
to fit anywhere else."

Until now, I've been using either an appointment or to-do to record
things that have nothing to do with service calls, or even pianos. I may
or may not link them to my own name in the database. The notes area is,
as you say, just another area to put information that's inappropriate
for such items, but things that I wouldn't otherwise attached to the
note section of a person's record.

To my knowledge, the notes contained here can't be ported to either Palm
or or PocketPC. However, I fully expect that to happen when the conduits
catch up with the program. For the moment, although I haven't tried it
yet, I can see using the grid to record, say, a daily income, one cell
each for customer name (or code), amount, check number, date deposited,
etc. See, this example would apply to ALL customers for a given day, not
linked to a particular individual. I'm sure we'll all come up with even
better uses for this feature.

Regards,
Jim Harvey