[CAUT] disablity insurance

Jeff Tanner jtanner@mozart.sc.edu
Thu, 19 Jan 2006 10:27:00 -0500

On Jan 18, 2006, at 10:30 PM, Jeff Olson wrote:

> Agreed, Jim.  I may sound a bit bitter because I went through the
> same thing -- UCD informed they would require those things.  I
> politely said "Fine, but of course I'll need to charge you
> accordingly."

Jim, Jeff, Wim, all,
It is my understanding that since the lawsuits broke out against the
Catholic church over child molestation, that there are now seminars
for lawyers to attend to learn how to sue churches.  We now have to
agree to federal background checks just to teach sunday school to
children.  So, I am convinced that churches are requiring this kind
of protection for anyone who might come under their roof while a
child or anyone else who could be a victim of any kind of malicious
intent is present.  It is indeed a different world.  Will church
members start having to carry liability insurance to attend services?

Not sure I understand the workman's comp requirement, though.

I do invest the few extra dollars per paycheck for the extended
disability coverage.  The state covers short term disabiliity.  I
used to sell insurance, and I think it is a smart few bucks to
spend.  We once were taught that statistics are that you are 7 times
more likely to become disabled than to die prematurely.

If you're looking at that highly advertised product, I'd do some
shopping around. That duck costs a lot of money and its got to come
from somewhere.

Jeff

Jeff Tanner, RPT
University of South Carolina