[CAUT] Hot Hide glue woes (??)

Jim Busby jim_busby@byu.edu
Wed, 18 Jan 2006 12:50:57 -0700

Chris, Daniel,

In addition to that I douse the old bushings with a water/wallpaper
remover solution that I keep in a hypo bottle in the fridge (It grows
mold if you don't). Takes less than one minute - wait ten - then the
bushings almost fall out even before the iron steams them. Seems to work
better than just steaming IMO.

Also, after removing the bushings I insert sizing cauls and stick the
proper size balance rail pin in the hole. This way the bottom of the
balance rail hole is a perfect shape and you don't have to use an easing
tools to try and manually shape every single hole. In fact, most of the
time you don't need any easing at all. If you do need to ease at least
you know that the contact point (very bottom of the hole) is perfect to
start with. I don't think you can get that with an easing tool. At least
this takes far less time (1 minute to insert pins) with superior
results. (IMO)

Jim Busby BYU

PS. Don, you're right. Sorry.

-----Original Message-----
From: caut-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:caut-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf Of
Chris Solliday
Sent: Wednesday, January 18, 2006 9:07 AM
To: College and University Technicians
Subject: Re: [CAUT] Hot Hide glue woes (??)

don't use the methods that are troublesome. My preferred method is
laying a
wet (not sopping) rag over the mortise, and then putting a hot iron (not
with the steam on, you will create your own with the rag iron combo)
over
the rag, then pull the bushings out with tweezers and usually the glue
(if
any is left behind) will come along by going back in immediately and
pulling
it with the tweezers. You will need to experiment to find the right
temperature setting for your iron. This is the method used at Pianotek
also.
Or have you tried that?
Chris Solliday