[CAUT] M & H model 50

Don Mannino DMannino@kawaius.com
Sun, 15 Jan 2006 13:11:19 -0800

Aaron
=20
I agree with others regarding the jack clearance causing the hammer
bobbling.  Very likely the hammer butts have become worn, which causes a
harder letoff resistance, plus there is perhaps not enough aftertouch
(i.e., jack clearance).  Firmer flange pinning can reduce the hammer
bobbling, but it might just be hiding the real problem.
=20
As for the stickers, I only repaired this on one piano, and it was a
long time ago, by the key / capstan / flange center line was way off.  I
have observed the problem on 2 other M&H 50s from that era, so I suspect
it is in all of them.
=20
The problem is that the sticker cloth is sliding forward very badly on
the capstan during play.  On the one I repaired it was observable by
eye, and the wear on the sticker cloth was a long mark instead of a
round dimple.
=20
The repair is to move the tongue flange rail up.  The corrects the
sticker movement to match the capstan, and the friction level goes way
down.
=20
I did not make any notes to myself as to how much I moved the rail,
though.  I think it was about 8mm up, but it was a long time ago.  I'm
afraid you will have to experiment a bit and observe carefully, both to
be sure this piano has the same problem, and to be sure you raise the
rail the correct amount.
=20
Good luck!
=20