[CAUT] Hot Hide glue woes (??)

Fri, 13 Jan 2006 17:44:09 -0500

Michelle -

If, by NYC, you are referring to your sentence served at Manhattan School,
then I should correct your errant memory.  We did have some of the Pianotek
glue, which WAS very clear, however, I found it difficult to work with, it
having the unfortunate characteristic of generating residual glue-strings
(spider web-ish) if the working thickness was adequate to form a decent
collar.  There was probably something that could have been done, but I gave
up on it.  The main hide glue we used was Behlen Dry Ground Hide Glue,
which John Ross mentioned earlier, but it's not called Luthiers
glue.  Woodcraft   www.woodcraft.com  has it for $10.99 instead of  $14.82
from Stew-Mac.  Urea crystals (from Pianotek) can be mixed in to extend the
working time so that a thicker consistency can be used.   Instructions
advise using no more than 15% of dry weight of glue.  Gives me another
chance to use my digital scale and calculator.

I'll be sending you some to try.  I'm such a champ.

David Skolnik :O