[CAUT] Water/Alcohol on Yamaha Hammers

Ric Brekne ricbrek@broadpark.no
Wed, 11 Jan 2006 22:49:35 +0100

Congrats Jeff !

At least so far so good.  I'm going to vote away from the frey here and
suggest you opt for factory hung CFIII hammers. These are now made of
Wurzen AA felt and are far from being too hard.  They will require some
needling, but the hammers are very pliable and easy to needle.  I'd also
suggest you offer your administration a couple alternatives in the light
of the events of your past few days.  Offer to do the job yourself with

1:  Ronzens and new shanks,  price x amount of dollars
2:  Prehung origional Yamaha parts,  price x time 2 amount of dollars.
3:  Bringing in a regional concert CFIII tech from Yamaha America to do
the job and hold a private seminar for you and perhaps a select very few
other (paying) techs.  price  x times 4 amount of dollars minus what
comes in from whatever participants you hold.

Express all the confidence in all three options, yet hold out the
virtues of each individual option.  Make your presentation short and
sweet and let them decide.  This will also show your bosses that you are
capable of arranging far more then simple piano tech work... but that
you are able to take over significant areas of responsibilities for the
whole piano section.

I've arranged 4 pianotechnical seminars now these and one class for a
major convention here at the UiB. It wows em every time.

Cheers
RicB

List,

Wow, knock me over with a feather.  I was called by the adjunct today
and received an apology, and we had a lengthy conversation about
extending his concern for the Yamaha to include the whole piano
inventory (among many other things).  At this point, it looks like
things may turn out well after all, or at least as well as can be
expected.  The jury is still out over whether I will hang in there at
this university, but at least this situation has not forced me to leave
under negative circumstances.  I have a meeting later today with the
adjunct and other piano faculty.  Maybe we'll all plot to overthrow the
Dean.  Oops, I didn't say that.  Thanks again to all of you for your
input - any more ideas about new hammers would be great.  That will be
happening no matter what.

Jeff Stickney