[CAUT] magnetized screwdriver

Ken Zahringer ZahringerK@missouri.edu
Wed, 11 Jan 2006 15:09:11 -0600

Chris,

Screwdrivers, and ferrous magnets, are magnetic because the polarity of the
individual atoms are aligned in the same direction, thus multiplying the
effect.  Dropping something, whether magnetized or not, causes the atoms to
become aligned in a more random fashion, and thus will decrease the magneti=
strength and eventually demagnetize the tool, if dropped repeatedly.

A non-magnetic object can become magnetized in only one way: exposure to a
strong electrical or magnetic field.  I have an old magnetic screwdriver
that was my dad=B9s.  Needless to say, by the time I was using it it was
getting pretty weak.  A number of years ago I used it to insert my
temperament strip in a Baldwin Electropiano, right by the pickups.  It has
been almost good as new ever since.

So, been working in the power plant, have you?

Ken Z.

On 1/11/06 2:46 PM, "Christopher Purdy" <purdy@ohio.edu> wrote:

> This is a bit off topic but an interesting question about tools.  I recen=
tly
> have found a couple of my screwdrivers had voluntarily become magnetized
> somehow.  I couldn't figure out why but my student says that dropping the=
 tool
> can do it somehow.  He can't defend his theory but says that either denti=
ng or
> the impact realigns the polarity somehow.
>=20
> Is this true?  Can someone confirm or deny this and explain how in terms =
> dummy like me can understand?
>=20
> If this is true, is it possible to de-magnetize something?  How would you=
 do
> it, drop it again?  How do you undrop something?
>=20
> Chris=20
>=20
>=20