[CAUT] magnetized screwdriver

John Ross jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca
Wed, 11 Jan 2006 17:04:56 -0400

You can demagnetize the screwdriver, by putting it through the 'loop' tip, of a soldering gun.
The alternating current will demagnetize it.

John M. Ross
Windsor, Nova Scotia, Canada
jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Christopher Purdy
  To: College and University Technicians
  Sent: Wednesday, January 11, 2006 4:46 PM
  Subject: [CAUT] magnetized screwdriver

  This is a bit off topic but an interesting question about tools. I recently have found a couple of my screwdrivers had voluntarily become magnetized somehow. I couldn't figure out why but my student says that dropping the tool can do it somehow. He can't defend his theory but says that either denting or the impact realigns the polarity somehow.

  Is this true? Can someone confirm or deny this and explain how in terms a dummy like me can understand?

  If this is true, is it possible to de-magnetize something? How would you do it, drop it again? How do you undrop something?

  Chris

  Christopher D. Purdy R.P.T.
  School of Music, Ohio University
  Rm. 311, Robt. Glidden Hall