[CAUT] Water/Alcohol on Yamaha Hammers

Alan McCoy amccoy@mail.ewu.edu
Tue, 10 Jan 2006 09:38:11 -0800

Jeff,

In about 1990 or so I worked on a Yamaha C7. I was called in to regulate and
voice the piano, which had been worked on by several other techs. I reshaped
the hammers, levelled strings and all the normal prep and regulation work.
The hammers had been needled by other techs. They were rocks. I did some
more needling. It still sounded lousy. I doused with alcohol and water.
After a short time the hammers really ballooned out. I thought they were
going to explode. I nearly crapped in my pants. In panic mode I reshaped the
hammers again. Not taking much felt off, but just to get back to a shape
resembling a piano hammer. Fitted the hammers to the strings and all that
stuff. Low and behold the hammers actually produced tone. Good tone in fact.
I have been tuning the piano ever since, maybe every other year, and the
tone is still remarkably good. I just tuned it  again about 3 months ago and
I am still amazed. The hammers looked totally shot, but in fact, still
produce very nice tone. This being said, the piano in question is in a
living room, not a performance hall, so projection is not an issue. And it
does not get a lot of banging. The man playing is a decent, if not
professional, pianist who has a very critical ear but not a heavy touch, who
enjoys Chopin, Debussy and Ravel rather than R&R or jazz.

The upshot of all this is that those hammers might still have life, even
though they look like hell warmed over.

But the larger issue is, as some have mentioned, the political BS.  I don't
think I'd have much tolerance for the situation you are in. If I understand
correctly, the adjunct prof paid his own money to have the other tech come
in and do his magic. Which resulted in ballooned hammers, right? Seems to me
that this adjunct prof should be required to pay to have the hammers
repaired or replaced. The tech in question is responsible for the results of
his technique which includes anticipating what happens when you put alcohol
and water on a hammer that might have been needled (which is not as
hypocritical of me as it sounds in light of the "learning experience"
related above).

So how much do you care about continuing on at UM? Is it worth it? Do you
still get health insurance through your wife's employment? Can you make up
the lost income through gigs and other less-stressful or more-fulfilling
work?

Call me sometime, if you like.

Alan

-- Alan McCoy, RPT