[CAUT] The Ideal Tool Case?

Barbara Richmond piano57@insightbb.com
Mon, 9 Jan 2006 09:05:31 -0600

After the first time I serviced a piano in a school, I used a luggage =
carrier (those carts that were made before luggage came with wheels).  =
That would have been 1983.  I don't use it when servicing pianos in =
homes, since the car is so nearby, but when servicing any institution =
it's normal operating procedure.  I bring my big old regular tool case, =
the case that is home to my punchings, pinning supplies and electrical =
gadgets--heat gun, hammer iron, etc., my cooler of glues and chemicals =
and brief case.  I can even carry more, if I have a particular job that =
I'm doing.  I used it to roll around Illinois Wesleyan University for 5 =
1/2 years, but I didn't usually carry as much with me since my =
office/shop was so easily accessible.

Actually, I have carts in two different sizes--depending on the job and =
amount of equipment I need to haul.  When I was rebuilding the action to =
the Steinway D at Braden Auditorium, I used the big cart to transport =
the action (bungee corded in place) to and from my van.  I used the =
carts to haul actions around IWU, also.

Barbara Richmond, RPT

----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Andrew Anderson=20
  To: ilvey@sbcglobal.net ; College and University Technicians=20
  Sent: Monday, January 09, 2006 8:18 AM
  Subject: Re: [CAUT] The Ideal Tool Case?

  How many of us use a cart, like a mail cart etc, to bring everything =
with us while servicing piano on campus?

  Andrew Anderson
  At 07:50 PM 1/8/2006, you wrote:

    Believe me...you WILL be going for a lighter kit as the years go by. =
  When my knuckles started dragging on the floor, I knew it was time...

    You mentioned you use an abbreviated kit for long walking =
distances...that seems like the time for more fully loaded kit, rather =
than walk back to the car...?

    I would interested in a heavier kit only if it had wheels...I don't =
mind the walk to the car...what 30 feet?  =20

    David Ilvedson, RPT
    Pacifica, California

---