[CAUT] Alcohol/water on Yamaha hammers

Rick.Florence@asu.edu Rick.Florence@asu.edu
Sat, 07 Jan 2006 21:34:00 -0700 (MST)

Quoting Keith Roberts <kpiano@goldrush.com>:

> I would print everyone of these emails with just the pertinent
> paragraphs
> and qualifications such as RPT...

The problem is, RPT means nothing in this context.  Last time I checked, you can
become an RPT with absolutely zero voicing experience.

Unfortunately, it seems you can be a "voicing expert" brought into the school by
an adjunct professor with what seems to be the same amount of voicing prowess as
a new RPT.  It is true that soaking a hammer with water (the alcohol is only a
surfactant) will expose and magnify the effect of previous needling as it breaks
up the hold between wool fibers.  It will also do the same with hammers that are
filed through across layers, and hammers worn and cut flat by the strings.  The
question really isn't what condition was magnified by the water, but why the
technician didn't recognize the condition of the hammers before he added fuel
(ok, water) to the fire.

The good news is that you didn't do this and now the piano might get some new
hammers.  I hope the school has enough sense to recognize the "voicing expert"
might not be the best choice to continue his craft on their concert instrument.
 My advice is to call Yamaha and ask them to send one of their concert
technicians to your school to help you install a new set of hammers (they do
this often as an educational support program).  This way, the school ends up
with a great piano, the Dean can feel good about bringing in an outside
professional, and you get to spend time with a great voicer and improve your
skills along the way.

Good luck.

Rick Florence
Senior Piano Technician
Arizona State University, School of Music