[CAUT] Alcohol/water on Yamaha hammers

David Love davidlovepianos@comcast.net
Fri, 6 Jan 2006 19:57:40 -0800

I still think you have to make your position known but in a diplomatic way.
Disagreement should be allowed in such a situation and I don't think you
should fear stating your case.  You can make your points without trashing
the other person.  I would explain as clearly a possible what the down sides
are, what will likely happen to the tone, why it may have projection
problems, how that doesn't fit into it's current use on stage, what that
will mean once the work is done if the result is less than satisfactory,
what the alternatives are that are more controllable and can be approached
in a more gradual way, that Yamaha doesn't advise using this treatment on
their pianos for all the reasons given.  Then stand back and let them
decide.  My experience suggests that belief tends to trump knowledge in
these cases.  Remind them that this operation tends to produce the best
results when the moon is in Pisces.  To quote Carl Sagan, "It's a demon
haunted world".

David Love
davidlovepianos@comcast.net

-----Original Message-----
From: caut-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:caut-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf Of Jeff
Stickney
Sent: Friday, January 06, 2006 6:02 PM
To: College and University Technicians
Subject: Re: [CAUT] Alcohol/water on Yamaha hammers

List,

Thank you for your responses so far.  The CFIII is from 1994, so as some
of you have indicated it might be a candidate for that treatment.
However, I don't trust the other tech to know what he is doing enough to
do it right.  This all comes at a time when I have been pushing for a
1/2 time staff position (currently a $12,000/year contract - no surprise
the Yamaha isn't maintained the way it should be - plus it competes with
a Steinway D on stage and gets less use).  We are also scheduled for a
Steinway Inventory Evaluation in a couple weeks.  To add to the
complication, the adjunct went to the Dean - over the head of the chair
of the department - and the adjunct's dad bought/donated the piano to
the U.  OK, so there you have the tip of the politics.  It goes on, but
you get the gist.  It's starting to feel like a no-win, but at least the
majority opinion seems to be that alcohol/water is not the approach of
choice.

Any more input would certainly be helpful - I love this list for the
opportunity to "think through" a situation like this.  Thanks.

Jeff Stickney
UM