[CAUT] Alcohol/water on Yamaha hammers

Jim Busby jim_busby@byu.edu
Fri, 6 Jan 2006 19:55:25 -0700

Jeff,

Another thing - I think hammers for a CF (from Yamaha) cost something
like $1,200.00! Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems like I remember them being
outrageously expensive. Good luck!

JB

-----Original Message-----
From: caut-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:caut-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf Of
Jeff Stickney
Sent: Friday, January 06, 2006 7:02 PM
To: College and University Technicians
Subject: Re: [CAUT] Alcohol/water on Yamaha hammers

List,

Thank you for your responses so far.  The CFIII is from 1994, so as some

of you have indicated it might be a candidate for that treatment.
However, I don't trust the other tech to know what he is doing enough to

do it right.  This all comes at a time when I have been pushing for a
1/2 time staff position (currently a $12,000/year contract - no surprise

the Yamaha isn't maintained the way it should be - plus it competes with

a Steinway D on stage and gets less use).  We are also scheduled for a
Steinway Inventory Evaluation in a couple weeks.  To add to the
complication, the adjunct went to the Dean - over the head of the chair
of the department - and the adjunct's dad bought/donated the piano to
the U.  OK, so there you have the tip of the politics.  It goes on, but
you get the gist.  It's starting to feel like a no-win, but at least the

majority opinion seems to be that alcohol/water is not the approach of
choice.

Any more input would certainly be helpful - I love this list for the
opportunity to "think through" a situation like this.  Thanks.

Jeff Stickney
UM