[CAUT] Harvard Job Opening

Jeff Tanner jtanner at mozart.sc.edu
Thu Aug 31 14:56:46 MDT 2006

On Aug 31, 2006, at 1:28 PM, David Love wrote:

> Not only part time but only $20.00 per hour in a major metro area?

Probably wouldn't be that much if it weren't a union position.

"...completion of stable tunings in 1.5 hours"
"Complete pitch raises in under 2 hours"
"Ability to complete 4 concert-level tunings per day"
...all at $20/hour before withholdings in 20 hours a week...

Then, after you're exhausted, you can leave and go to your real job.

At least the position is eligible for overtime.
(but wait till the tech gets that first two-week paycheck for about
$560)

On Aug 31, 2006, at 1:23 PM, Willem Blees wrote:
> It's bad
> enough when full time position open up that don't pay enough, but does
> the university realize that someone can't afford to live on half a
> salery,

er, half a half a salary.

> and that creating a customer base to support that income would
> take several years?

There you hit the nail on the head for all of us -- even the F/T
positions.

> Those kinds of job opening should be advertised locally.

I agree.  But there have been other similar half time positions
advertised in the past few years that techs have picked up and moved
to.  That lure of benefits will draw people across the country to
live in cardboard boxes.  So, it does happen.  We're the fools that
keep taking them.

Imagine being able to say, "I'm a piano tech at Harvard."  There will
be all kinds of people in line for that 20 bucks.

It's like saying, I'm the "official tuner for the symphony" because I
only charge them 1/3 market price.

(not me, and hypothetically, of course)

Jeff Tanner, RPT
University of South Carolina