[CAUT] capstans

Conrad Hoffsommer hoffsoco at luther.edu
Wed Aug 30 10:28:14 MDT 2006

At 10:48 AM 8/30/2006 -0500, you wrote:
>Does anyone have a favorite (easy) way to fix loose capstans?  We have a
>6-year-old grand where the capstans are so loose that you can't keep a
>good hammer line.  Within a week of regulating it several hammers are back
>down on the rebound felts.  None of the capstans are hard to turn and many
>are way too loose.  Unfortunately this is from the 5-year-warranty company
>so I'm on my own with this one.
>
>dave
>
>__________________________
>David M. Porritt, RPT
>Meadows School of the Arts
>Southern Methodist University
>Dallas, TX 75275
><mailto:dporritt at smu.edu>dporritt at smu.edu

Have you tried glue sizing?  I've got a little dispenser bottle with really
dilute yellow glue. (4:1/5:1??)

Pull the capstan, fill hole up w/sizing (finger on bottom of hole if it
goes through key), after a few seconds - dump excess, re-insert capstan,
wait... overnight is best to allow full drying of wood.

adjust.

The water really swells the wood and the glue keeps it there.

Conrad Hoffsommer

All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy.