[CAUT] why does it feel better?

Jeff Tanner jtanner at mozart.sc.edu
Wed Aug 30 10:05:56 MDT 2006

On Aug 29, 2006, at 10:44 AM, Willem Blees wrote:

> So why does tuning the piano, not just a regular ET tuning, but also a
> historical tuning, make the piano feel different?

Late yesterday I tuned a new, out-of-the-crate console, that before
tuning sounded muffled and felt heavy.  Not much fun to play on.
After tuning, it is a warm, rich, focused instrument, and, if I
didn't know better, I"d swear 10 grams lighter.  All of a sudden I
didn't want to get up from the piano.  It is an amazing phenomenon.

When the tuning is dirty, the music and the player are at the mercy
of the noises being produced, so there is a loss of control.  I think
that when the tuning is under control, the pianist feels more in
control and free to be more musical.

Even children will feel a difference.

It makes me wonder how composers could be continually inspired to
compose when the fortepiano they were composing on would go out of
tune during the day.

Jeff T

Jeff Tanner, RPT
University of South Carolina